Working as a member of the Office of Communications and Marketing, the Social Media Marketing Manager will create, develop, execute and evaluate McDaniel College’s institutional social media strategy. With responsibility for soc college’s institutional media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and others), he/she will serve as McDaniel’s primary content creator and promoter for social media, working with colleagues from across campus to create content that enhances the profile of the college. The Social Media Marketing Manager will develop and execute a monthly social calendar that ensures content is timely, relevant, and cohesive to larger marketing strategy. He/she will be responsible for developing social media marketing campaigns on various platforms that support the goals of the College and will be responsible for social media policy development. The Social Media Marketing Manager will provide leadership such as mentoring and training to other social media managers across campus and will remain current on industry trends. All of these duties will be geared toward raising awareness of and engagement with the college across all digital platforms and channels.
Specific duties include:
• Develop a content strategy, creating and coordinating the social content calendar, and writing,
editing, and posting content to McDaniel’s multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter,
• Manage and regularly schedule posts, as well as monitor and analyze social media content with
the goal to increase followers and engagement across all platforms;
• Create innovative social media campaigns while building native content (e.g. Instagram stories)
using McDaniel’s assets and subjects to leverage the college’s archive;
• Develop and write institutional social media policies, applying social media best practices;
• Liaise with colleagues across campus who manage accounts for portions of the institution and
host quarterly campus-wide trainings;
• Review and advise on Parent/Family and current student Facebook groups;
• Working with the Director of Public Relations and Dean of Admissions, promote recruitment and
other initiatives (e.g. upcoming events, application deadlines) with the goal of reinforcing the
• Plan, design and execute digital ad campaigns that reflect the college’s brand identity and support
the college’s goals, including retargeting, promotional ads, display ads and more;
Page 2 of 2
• Initiate Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis reporting on
social media performance metrics;
• Administers and scrutinizes posts, tracks responses and ensures proper escalation process;
manages crisis communications and work through potential challenging online interface, in social
media communities with followers and/or contributors;
• Monitor online forums, ensuring social media policies are followed;
• Attend campus events (on evenings and weekends when necessary) to generate social media
• Aligns social media updates with website updates to ensure content is up-to-date and consistent
across both types of communication platforms;
• Champion the social media projects and deadlines, ensuring senior leadership is informed on a
timely basis on project status or potential delays;
• Other duties as assigned.
1. Coordinate and manage media assets
2. Be a collaborative and contributing member of the team
3. Performs other duties as assigned, and will be required to work non-traditional hours, including
evenings and weekends. Evening and weekend work increases during peak periods of the year
including Move-In Day/Orientation and Commencement.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in social media marketing required
• Strong background in social media strategy and execution
• Photography and video skills a plus
• Exceptional organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multi-task
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with CMS platforms preferred
• Understanding of the full marketing lifecycle and marketing automation, content management,
analytics and email platforms
• Self-starter with a can do attitude and intense desire to explore emerging technologies and trends
• Committed, engaged, decisive, adaptable, team player
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely working in a normal office
environment with minimal exposure to adverse conditions. The noise level in the work environment is
moderate and work may occur at a work station with other staff.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
• Sitting for long periods of time.
• Viewing a computer screen for long periods of times.
• Lifting involved but not more than 40 pounds at a time.