Under general supervision, reporting to the Director of Public Affairs & Media Relations, performs the full range of Media Relations activities to raise awareness of UMMC, attract patients and enhance the organization’s image. Generates and implements news coverage of UMMC experts and programs. Works with doctors and other staff to find story ideas and set up media interviews. Writes news releases and other materials and produces podcasts. Communicates regularly with radio, television and newspaper professionals to relay information and respond to inquiries. Implements UMMC news media policy.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
• Identifies and creates opportunities to present UMMC positively in the news with a responsibility for specific beat areas. Develops and maintains contacts within UMMC and the School of Medicine to find story ideas to propose to the media.
• Writes and distributes news releases, media advisories, speaking points, TV and radio scripts as well as letters to editors, producers and reporters, to foster new coverage of UMMC. Contributes material to UMMC Web sites, publications and internal videos.
• Responds to daily media questions or requests for interviews. Arranges media interviews; determines specific needs of the media; identifies and prepares the most appropriate individuals (physicians, administrators, staff etc.) for interviews. Selects locations for interviews; arranges for media parking and escorts media to the appropriate location. Ensures patients who are interviewed sign consent forms.
• Organizes news conferences by selecting and setting up location, preparing speakers, notifying the media and handling related details.
• Develops and maintains regular contact with reporters, editors, producers, and other relevant media professionals and keeps current with health trends and medical issues in the news.
• Stays informed about developments at UMMC, including medical advances in specific beat areas, by communicating regularly with physicians, administrators, and other key personnel.
• Keeps track of UMMC stories placed in various media outlets for media placement reports. Keeps current with general health trends and medical developments covered in newspapers, broadcast outlets, Web sites, and other media.
• Provides advice and supports marketing initiatives, community activities and fundraising efforts with media exposure.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Public Affairs or a related area of study is required.
• Seven years of progressively responsible professional experience working in public affairs, print or broadcast journalism or related fields, is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of print and broadcast news media operations.
• General knowledge of health care and medicine, such as how studies are conducted, major diseases, physician specialties, and state and federal laws regarding release of information from patient medical records.
• Demonstrated proficiency in word processing software required as well as ability to use e-mail and the Internet for research and as a media relations tool.
• Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are essential, along with good judgement and the ability to work effectively with various levels of UMMC employees and management.
Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in hospital, department or unit patient safety initiatives.
• Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety. • Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority. • Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.
To Apply: https://jobs.umms.org/ShowJob/JobId/2496163/SeniorMediaRelationsManager