This position is not 100% telework eligible. Incumbent will be expected to report at least two days per week. Demonstrated skills in developing and executing strategic communications, PR, media plans and campaigns is highly preferred.
The Housing Authority of Baltimore City (HABC) has the responsibility to safeguard the health of all employees and their families, our customers and visitors, our residents, and the community at large. With this, all new employees are required to receive at least one COVID-19 vaccination shot in a two-shot series or be fully vaccinated prior to the date of hire. Proof of vaccination is required prior to the date of hire. All new employees are required to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of the date of hire.
The Public Relations Officer will be a member of the Housing Authority of Baltimore City (HABC) Communications staff responsible for assisting the senior Vice President of Communications in the managerial and operational responsibilities of the Communications Office. The incumbent will create and implement PR, communications, crisis management, and marketing strategies that foster brand and reputational impact. Produces strategic communication messages for internal and external audiences through a variety of tools, including the web, eblasts, press releases, social media announcements/posts, newsletters, and a variety of marketing materials to educate and inform HABC’s stakeholders. Works with the SVP of Communications and HABC’s leadership team to develop and implement PR and crisis communication strategies and campaigns. Oversees the Office of Communications in the SVP’s absence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist in directing and coordinating the managerial and operational responsibilities of the Communication’s Office. Garners support and maintains effective working relationships with staff, agency employees, and other entities to effectively disseminate information and informational materials, services, and activities.
2. Works with the Communications Team to develop effective PR and communications campaigns that support HABC’s mission, vision and goals. Plans, organizes, and assigns work; determines work priority, sets goals.
Develop proactive crisis communication strategies to manage and protect HABC’s brand and reputation.
3. Draft press materials including press releases and media advisories.
4. Help lead proactive media outreach efforts to traditional and nontraditional media outlets.
5. Support social media efforts including working with SVP and Digital Communications Manager to draft posts and PR materials that promote HABC’s messages.
6. Produce strategic communication messages for the web, eblasts, newsletters, and a variety of marketing materials to educate and inform HABC’s internal and external audiences.
7. Produce content and communication messages for HABC websites, including announcements, stories, news, etc.
8. Provides timely promotional information to, and coordinates agency participation with various housing industry trade associations as NAHRO, CLPHA, MAHRA, and others.
9. Coordinates all aspects of agency events and press conferences. This includes but is not limited to: gathering event details, making site selections, writing and distributing invitations, performing site visits, working with caterers and other vendors, compiling RSVPs, writing briefing memos and talking points for elected and appointed officials, and performing post-event evaluations.
10. Plans, schedules, and conducts tours for special groups as required.
11. Oversees the Office of Communications in the SVP’s absence.
12. Performs other related tasks as required.
Education and/or Experience
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, or related field.
Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in public relations, communications and/or marketing with an established organization or agency. Demonstrated skills in developing and executing strategic communications, PR, media plans and campaigns.
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities may be considered sufficient.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, and Outlook). Must have the ability to learn other computer software programs as required by assigned tasks.