Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
- Cultivates strong relationships with national, local/regional and trade media, and serves as point of contact for media interviews/inquiries and managing responses to requests for information from media
- Conducts media training and ongoing media preparation with Sheppard Pratt experts; develops media interview briefings and facilitates interviews with experts/media
- Supports management of media on-site at events to facilitate interviews, tours, etc.
- Writes and edits press releases, pitches, talking points, contributed articles, and other materials to support media activity
- Develops and oversees Speaker’s Bureau and maintain ongoing relationships with internal experts for media opportunities and other external speaking engagements
- Monitors alerts, news, and competitor information for ongoing story ideas and pitching to media/news outlets; develops targeted media lists
- Identifies award opportunities for Sheppard Pratt, its experts, and programs and nominate as appropriate
- Assists with external crisis communications planning and execution
The Media Relations Specialist is a passionate storyteller who works to identify and secure earned media coverage in print, online, and broadcast media outlets. They will leverage their skills working with media/news outlets and writing skills to support the media and external relations activities to promote Sheppard Pratt, its programs and services, as well as its experts. The Media Relations Specialist will have and/or develop local, national and trade media relationships and manage both proactive and reactive media requests for interviews and story ideas. This position requires someone with quality writing skills to develop content such as but not limited to, press releases, contributed articles, op-eds, media pitch ideas, among others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
1. Position requires Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or closely related field and 3-5 years’ experience in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field. Healthcare experience is preferred.
2. Knowledge and experience should include:
Strong writing/editing, listening and presentation skills.
Professional, polished interpersonal skills, including experience in managing and maintaining confidential information.
Excellent time management and organization skills to manage multiple projects at the same time and demonstrate impeccable attention to detail.
Demonstrated experience in effective communication strategies and tools, including print, Web, media relations, electronic media, AP Style and other e-communication tools.
Familiarity with media tracking services and databases.
3. Proven ability to work collaboratively within a team and cross-departmentally.
4. Proven track record of placements in news media.