Under general supervision, reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, performs the full range of Media Relations activities to (a) proactively seek and package positive stories to promote the UM BWMC to the news media & online outlets (b) to manage media and online issues that could negatively affect the organization’s reputation, (c) incorporate social media strategy that includes generating, editing, and sharing content on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Responsibilities include writing news releases, reserve press statements, issues Q&As, and web copy; producing multi-media content for news media, UM BWMC website and social media. Communicates regularly with radio, television and newspaper professionals to pitch stories and respond to inquiries. Responsible for explaining UMMS Communications & Public Affairs policies regarding clearing media interviews for physicians/staff; photography clearances from patients, social media policy etc. Inclusion on a media on-call rotation, which includes after hours and weekends, to respond to urgent media inquiries and manage breaking news events.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Identifies and creates opportunities to present UM BWMC positively in the news. Develops and maintains contacts within UM BWMC to find story ideas to propose to the media.
2. Writes and distributes news releases, media advisories, speaking points, TV and radio scripts as well as letters to editors, producers and reporters, to foster new coverage of UM BWMC. Contributes material to UM BWMC websites, publications and internal videos.
3. Responds to daily media questions or requests for interviews. Arranges media interviews; determines specific needs of the media; identifies and prepares the most appropriate individuals (physicians, administrators, staff etc.) for interviews.
4. Organizes news conferences (both planned and emergency as needed for issues management) under the direction of the Public Information Officer or Incident Command.
5. Develops and maintains regular contact with reporters, editors, producers, and other relevant media professionals and keeps current with health trends and medical issues in the news.
6. Stays informed about developments at UM BWMC, including business strategies and medical advances, by communicating regularly with physicians, administrators, and other key personnel. Provides advice and supports marketing initiatives, community activities and fundraising efforts with media exposure.
7. Builds and executes a strategy for social media and digital platforms, develops engaging written, video and photo content, monitors social media channels, reviews analytics and create reports on key metrics, and assist in the development of social media marketing.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Public Affairs or a related area of study is required.
2. 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience working in public affairs, print or broadcast journalism or related fields, is required. 2+ years of health care content experience (hospital, pharmaceutical, scientific, or medical research related)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Thorough knowledge of print and broadcast news media operations.
2. General knowledge of health care and medicine, such as how studies are conducted, major diseases, physician specialties, and state and federal laws regarding release of information from patient medical records.
3. Demonstrated proficiency in computer business systems, news media contact management software (VOCUS, Cision or similar) and website content management systems.
4. Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are essential, along with good judgement and the ability to work effectively with various levels of UM BWMC employees and management.