Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Full-time
Date Created: December 2018
Location: Baltimore, MD
Employer: Research Park Corporation
The Marketing Communications and Community Manager is responsible for (a) leading the communication of the Park’s story to stakeholders, partners, current and potential residents, the general public and the press, and (b) targeting and engaging the community (within the campus and throughout the region) that is aligned with the Park’s mission. This position is responsible for creating visibility for the Park (and its constituents and programs) as well as developing and sustaining partnerships with its many communities. This position will work with the Executive Director to develop, launch and coordinate marketing communication and community engagement strategies and programs that build upon the relationships that the Park has with its stakeholder organizations, key associations, and key influencers and will provide support to build new relationships.
The Marketing Communications and Community Manager has frequent, routine contacts with Park staff, client companies, sponsors, business partners, media outlets, relevant government agencies, UMBC and other academic partners, and the community in general and is expected to represent the Park in a professional manner. This position has access to sensitive Park information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism.
- Design and implement communications strategies and programs that will support the Park and its objectives.
- Design, implement and maintain key Park community engagement programs and support and expand new and existing programs.
- Create and maintain placemaking initiatives (e.g., create “place and community” for key stakeholders and client member companies).
- Liaise with existing and prospective community, corporate, government and academic partners to build and expand collaborative relationships.
- Oversee the development and continuous effectiveness of a comprehensive marketing strategy that includes written collateral, social media and website design and maintenance, etc., all of which highlight the Park, its activities and its value proposition.
- Coordinate and facilitate events and activities that build community and boost brand awareness.
- Guide the Park’s sponsorship and/or participation in regional events as appropriate.
- Partner with companies housed in the Park to gain local and regional visibility for them as examples of the innovative work of the Park.
- Act as point-of-contact for external media requests and determine appropriate responses to effectively promote the Park’s programs and communicate the Park’s position in a positive manner in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Maintain email contact lists, LISTSERVS, marketing databases, etc. as appropriate;
- Support the Executive Team with external speaking engagement and slide deck preparation as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of marketing, public relations, web design and social media strategies and tools;
- Outstanding written, oral, and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, friendly outgoing/extroverted disposition with high emotional intelligence;
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, reliability/dependability and work ethic;
- Familiarity with analytics and measurement tools (such as Google Analytics) to assess success of implemented strategies;
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and multi-task;
- Ability to work in teams or individually;
- Professional demeanor and appearance;
- Proficiency using Excel, Word, PowerPoint, EventBrite and Constant Contact (or similar); computer and AV technology literate;
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours to accomplish business objectives; some travel will be expected;
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs;
- Four-year college degree, with minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
Sitting, standing, reaching, moving, and lifting, among other normally encountered physical requirements. Work and office environment.
The position will be full-time with salary and benefits negotiable based on experience and skills. Interested and qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Ellen Hemmerly, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.