Job Purpose Towson University is currently accepting applications for an Executive Communications Strategist. This position reports directly to the Associate Vice President for Communications and Media and indirectly to the Vice President, and serving as the executive communications professional responsible for the communications and engagement strategy that promotes, enhances, and protects the President’s (and thus the University’s) profile locally, regionally, and nationally. The goal is to advance institutional voice with relevant audiences, internally and externally, as well as drive awareness and support for the university. The position is responsible for strategy and implementation of all executive and internal communications.
Executive Communications Strategy and Implementation
• Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan (in alignment with university’s overall communication and marketing plan) to advance the President’s brand, presidential platform, and presidential priorities to increase visibility across key external and internal audiences.
• Work with AVP for Communications & Media Relations to create a marketing/public relations strategy that aligns with the university’s overall communications strategy to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level audiences, including the media.
• Develop and prepare various communications products including presidential videos, publications (annual report, VIP books, capital and operating testimony booklets, etc.), presidential statements, talking points, speeches and presentations, opinion-editorials, and other supporting material based on best practices using compelling statistics, data points, anecdotes, research as appropriate.
• Manage and enhance the digital communications for the President to showcase dynamic and integrated content across all platforms and channels including: Office of the President Website, e-newsletters, HTML email, social media, videos, and presentations.
• If and when needed in the absence of UMC leadership, be available to directly staff and support the President, as appropriate, at media interviews, highly-visible speaking engagements, and various public events to optimize the President’s engagement, effectiveness, and efficiency.
B. Internal Communications
• Plan and lead all university-wide communications efforts that promote and convey major campus-wide initiatives, critical timely notifications, presidential or university accomplishments, and other important information.
• Work closely with Executive Division offices (Inclusion and Institutional Equity, Human Resources, and Office of General Counsel) as well as shared governance groups (TUSC, University Senate & SGA) to offer institution-wide marketing and communications strategy, guidance, and direction on how to disseminate important information to staff, faculty or students.
• Work with key university officials to coordinate and develop university publications for campus-wide audiences, including TU By the Numbers, Points of Pride, and all-campus compliance notifications.
• Draft and distribute all-campus communications including HTML emails, videos, etc.
• Supervise a Graduate Assistant, shared among other UMC colleagues, to assist in the development of various integrated communications products.
• Lead executive and presidential communication strategy, collaborating across divisions and colleges to unify messages, optimize clarity and overall effectiveness.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of four years of senior-level experience in communications or a related field with a wide range of constituencies, and a proven record in effective media and community relations at the policy level is required. Previous experience in a public higher education institution or a political environment is desirable. Must possess the ability to think and act strategically with superb “political” insight and judgment. Must possess exceptional verbal, writing, and editing skills with attention to detail and quality; a proven track record of distilling complex issues into easily understood and compelling messages for a wide array of audiences; demonstrate excellent interpersonal and networking skills; and the ability to work independently and with multiple contributors to manage and implement all stages of a project on tight deadlines.
A Criminal Background Investigation is required for the hired candidate and the results may impact employment.
Salary and Benefits Competitive salary and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 14 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission. To learn more about our benefits, click here.
This position will be open for a minimum of 14 days. Cover letter and resume are requested, but not required.