Brief Summary of Job Duties
Working alongside and under the supervision of the Assistant Vice President of Public Relations and Strategic Communications, the Director of Public Relations and Strategic Communications will assist in the leadership and direction of the department. He/she will become a significant contributor to executing the University’s communications strategy and will be a driving force behind communicating strongly and effectively the Morgan State University story. Working closely with the University’s administrative team and other internal stakeholder groups, the Director of Public Relations and Strategic Communications will ensure that the direction of the Morgan’s communications efforts is in line with the University’s mission, vision, goals, and values.
- Lead in strategy development and execution support for University’s public relations/communications programs;
- Oversee management of OPRSC’s design and publications and digital/online communications teams;
- Assist in the management of OPRSC’s annual budget
- Serve as project manager for internal and external marketing initiatives to engage the campus community;
- Serve as University spokesperson in communication with radio, television and print media outlets;
- Research relevant media coverage and industry trends and position subject matter experts for thought leadership opportunities;
- Strategize, plan and execute public relations activity and calendar in tandem with major announcements and advertising campaigns;
- Establish, cultivate and maintain strong, fair, and transparent working relationships with local, national, regional and trade media outlets;
- Draft content and create media assets that advance Morgan’s messages, and keeps the University top of mind with the press, influencers, lawmakers and prospective students and their parents;
- Help mine and create news stories, above and beyond the press releases;
- Develop and proactively pitch story ideas, securing media interview opportunities and managing the interview process, including the development of pre-interview briefs/messaging;
- Develop media-related materials, as needed, including press releases, pitches, talking points and Q&As, reactive messaging/holding statements, bylined articles, news articles etc. for internal and external use;
- Drive plans to oversee press events and other major University activities;
- Stay on top of the competitive higher education landscape and regularly monitor and respond to issues and opportunities;
- Monitor and report the effectiveness of the communications program on a weekly, quarterly and annual basis;
Requested Minimum Qualifications
The successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited College or University in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications or Journalism with at least eight (8) years of experience of comprehensive communications experience.
Other Preferences for Consideration
The person selected for this role will be expected to help in expanding Morgan’s leadership and influence in higher education, build upon existing brand awareness, and deepen relationships with the press, influencers, and other key stakeholders. He/she must be self-directed, have initiative and critical thinking skills, be able to dive into the details to get things done, and isn’t afraid to roll up his/her sleeves to execute what needs to be done. This individual must have a passion for learning, collaborating well with colleagues, has a can-do attitude, and has the ability to manage and execute numerous projects simultaneously. The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience in leading teams and loves thinking through the big-picture strategy with a passion for inspiring people through storytelling.
- Public relations agency experience is desirable.
- A PR Strategist that thinks creatively about how to leverage current higher education trends and national topics of importance and is able to connect both to Morgan’s thought leadership to garner media coverage
- A Succinct and prolific writer who understands the power of communicating complicated topics simply and loves the power of putting words into action
- An Effective collaborator that can rely on their good ideas and cooperative style to persuade others to quickly achieve desired outcomes
- A Self-starter who is intrinsically motivated, organized, and able to work with tight deadlines on multiple projects with limited oversight
- A Solutions finder who has a growth mindset pursues knowledge and holds themselves and others to a higher standard
- Demonstrated experience presenting to and interacting with members of the media, executive leaders, board members, customers, and a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated experience and familiarity with all communications disciplines including internal communications, crisis communications, social media, media relations, and public relations;
- An ability to land top-tier media and to build top-tier media relationships
- Strategic storyteller and creative thinker who’s always advocating on behalf of the University and its community
- Demonstrated proficiency of excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to write about complex topics in a simple, easy to understand way;
- Ability to work one-on-one with various groups (at all levels of the organization) on communications projects from conception to launch – and provide strategic advice and execution support throughout the process;
- Deadline-driven self-starter with good judgment and a strong attention to detail.
- Proven experience in managing relationships with vendors and advertising salesmen;
- High levels of energy, enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, good humor, and commitment.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please enter one professional and one personal reference in the References page of the application.
All interested applicants must apply online using the following link
MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE/ACTION EMPLOYER
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, applicants should be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing their identities, U.S. citizenship or alien status and their authorization to work in the United States.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/9xxwxrgk3n2hr98j