WBAL-TV, the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate in Baltimore, MD, is seeking qualified applicants for a Director of Programming and Public Affairs. This position is responsible for the station’s programming functions including, acquisitions, scheduling, NBC network and all digital multicast network communications, FCC regulatory matters, NAB public service campaigns, management of the station’s public file, comprehensive station syndication strategy and other Hearst Television programming responsibilities and duties as assigned. This position is also responsible for the station’s local programming production, including the creation of new special initiatives and specific corporate related programming and production responsibilities as assigned as well as programming collaboration with sister radio stations, WBAL-AM and 98 Rock. Additionally, the position will direct WBAL-TV’s Public Affairs efforts including management and oversight of the station’s community relations and public service announcements. Responsibilities include maintaining compliance of the stations Children’s Programming responsibilities as outlined by the FCC and participation as a member of the WBAL-TV Editorial Board. Also included – overseeing creation and production of nearly all WBAL non-news specials; all aspects of public and media relations, including establishing and maintaining good relations with outside media; managing talent appearances, copy-editing all press releases, and media alerts, statements and other printed matter on all platforms. Managing and assisting with social media strategies for all programming and channels is also important. Ultimately responsible for effective internal and external communication.
This Department Head level position works collaboratively with all departments on all platforms (WBAL-TV, MeTV Baltimore and WBALTV.com). A thorough understanding of HTV policies and FCC regulations is required.
- Handle all station programming (local, syndication and network) and associated duties, including scheduling, planning, strategy and acquisition (in conjunction with GM and HTV programming), communication, coordination and implementation.
- Responsible for all FCC quarterly reporting (Children’s and Issues Reports) and other FCC reporting, as needed.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with program content providers.
- Managing and assisting with social media strategies for all programming.
- Must have a solid understanding of Nielsen ratings, ratings tracking/trending and research.
- Responsible for WBAL-TV’s Public Affairs efforts, including local programming, PSAs, non-profit community projects and WBAL-TV’s Editorial Board.
- Nurturing exceptional relationships with outside media.
- Strategic coordination of all talent appearances.
- Creating and managing station communications including all press releases and media alerts .
- Ideal candidate should have a minimum of 5 years of experience working at a television station, and be particularly adept at local programming, production, research, FCC requirements and news operations.
- College degree required, preferably in broadcast journalism, communications or related specialty.