Provide strategic direction to and oversight of PR initiatives of the Marketing and Communications department to ensure that the world-renowned Baltimore Symphony Orchestra receives the best and broadest possible media exposure for the full range of its activities locally, nationally, and internationally. Areas of particular focus include increasing the Orchestra’s visibility, and create concert-related PR opportunities to maximize ticket sales for classical, pops, holiday, educational, and special revenue-generating concerts, and create heightened visibility of activities in Baltimore as well as in Washington, D.C., centered on its second home, the Music Center at Strathmore in North Bethesda, Maryland. The Assistant Director of Communications works with the VP of Marketing and Communications to develop, implement, and achieve the long-term goals and objectives of the BSO.
Key areas of responsibility include maximizing press relationships, managing internal and external communications, and generating a high volume of press for the organization in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. media markets to support the BSO’s ticket and contributed revenue objectives, as well as secure national stories. The Assistant Director of Communications will also work closely with other departments towards the goal of optimizing the institutional communications and messaging to all stakeholder groups including donors, board, patrons, musicians, volunteers and community partners. The position is based at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall (JMSH).
The successful candidate will thrive under pressure, be able to balance multiple priorities, and establish her/his self as a trusted resource internally by employees and externally by the media.
- Communications Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate the brand of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra to further our reputation as a world-class orchestra in the local and national markets.
- Develop and implement the overall communication strategy, maximizing key opportunities.
- In conjunction with Marketing, develop and implement a vigorous media strategy that supports and drives ticket sales through positive stories profiling upcoming BSO events and featured artists.
- Generate a continuous stream of self-generated news stories and dynamic content that will achieve a sense of online community for the BSO.
- Oversee production of publications including Overture magazine, and, in conjunction with Marketing, website content.
- Expand and maintain press/media contacts and relations.
- Oversee social media efforts and podcasts, and generate compelling video and written content for the BSO’s website.
- Write press releases, calendars, fact sheets, press room copy, institutional materials and other materials for both internal and external constituents. Ensure highest degree of quality and accuracy in all materials. Produce and manage press release schedules, assignments and deadlines with assistance from Communications Manager.
- Develop and implement strategy that furthers the BSO’s relations with a broad range of community and civic groups in the region.
- Work closely with the BSO’s education department to generate regional and national coverage for the BSO’s ever-broadening education and community engagement programs, including the signature after-school program, OrchKids.
- Effectively prepare the Music Director, board, and staff for media interviews; prepare key institutional messaging including speeches.
- Develop high-quality and effective press events including the BSO’s annual Gala, media cultivation affairs, and announcement of major initiatives.
- Oversee archiving of historical documents, including house programs, photography, video and artist biographical files.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in public relations or communications.
- Experience working with a major non-profit arts organization is preferred.
- Demonstrated superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Strategic thinker who is able to prioritize many competing initiatives.
- Has proven experience in using self-generated content about a product, event or organization as an alternative to traditional media.
- Knowledge of classical music is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or public relations related fields, or related work experience.
- Superior interpersonal skills, and ability to handle calmly and efficiently situations ranging from routine to emergency.
- Skills demonstrating good judgement, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Excellent critical thinking, strategic planning, and problem solving skills.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- A benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance
- Dental, Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid by the BSO
- Generous paid time off, including annual, personal, and sick leave
- 403(b) Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Account
- Employee Assistance Program
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
- Send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to email@example.com
- Deadline to apply is Monday, October 21, 2019
- No phone calls, please