Senior Communications Specialist
The Communications team at Maxim Healthcare Services’ corporate office in Columbia, MD is currently seeking a Senior Communications Specialist to develop, execute, and manage communications activities and initiatives for internal clients. The Communications team supports the executive leadership team and internal compliance and quality care programs and projects designed to increase the Company’s competitive advantage, social responsibility, and employee engagement.
The Senior Communications Specialist will be responsible for developing strategic communications strategies and plans in support of company initiatives. This will include composing, editing, managing, and executing the development and production of communications materials for each initiative. In this capacity, the Senior Communications Specialist will work closely with executives, directors, managers, and divisional leaders within the organization to ensure that business initiatives are communicated effectively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partners with internal clients for consulting, identifying, planning, and executing new communications strategies and messages
- Works with key stakeholders to confirm requirements and implement solutions to significantly improve communications channels (audience, categories, and/or topics)
- Aligns with internal business departments and divisions, and on special projects to provide an integrated approach via communications plans, development of messaging, company events, brochures, signage, and newsletter articles
Internal Communication Responsibilities:
- Develops and executes timely and consistent strategic communication plans and tactics to fulfill the strategic and operational goals and objectives of the strategic communications program
- Provides communications consulting to internal clients on internal and external employee and industry related entities; consulting activities will vary from verbal communications or providing advice and recommendations on communications issues, to providing customized communications support and materials in addition to guiding stakeholder management
- Strategizes with clients, writes creative briefs, researches and analyzes information, prepares communications materials (presentations, Intranet sites and content, multimedia products, messaging and Talking Points, Communications Plans and timelines), plans logistics, and manages overall coordination of programs in support of significant business technological or operational changes
- Ensures content is consistent with the Company brand in terms of tone, manner, and messaging
- Manages and completes multiple assignments in short time frames and coordinates diverse projects and activities into a cohesive and strategic program; acquires the input and resources of other communications staff in the organization to fulfill the objectives of communications plans and projects
- Manages the deliverables of other Communications Specialists to ensure that projects are in compliance with company and team standards
- Manages the implementation and measures the effectiveness of communications programs, and creates plans to improve results
- Develops and implements communications plans and tactics to fulfill the strategic and operational goals and objectives of the overall communications program developed by the communications manager, while promoting and protecting the organization’s brand and reputation
- Actively contributes to the development and execution of the team’s strategic plan, reports, and overall communications approach; plans and manages communications vehicles that help promote and drive business priorities
- Writes, edits, and prepares copy for internal operations initiatives: (1) copy editing (employing skills that assure consistency and accuracy regarding grammar, punctuation, syntax, and AP style); and (2) substantive editing, requiring critical sense and intuitive evaluation of factual accuracy and consistency of information – chronology of events, verification of facts, rearrangement or deletion of material, analysis of data, and evaluation of documentation for accuracy and thoroughness
- Performs other duties as assigned/necessary
Maxim Healthcare Services is one of the leading providers of medical staffing, home health and wellness services in the United States. Founded in 1988, Maxim has rapidly expanded to include 12 divisions and over 400 branch offices in 44 states and the District of Columbia. We have earned a position as an innovative leader in the healthcare industry through our emphasis on quality patient care, compliance initiatives and customer service. Today, Maxim is one of the largest privately owned companies in our industry.
Maxim has committed itself to achieving exemplary corporate citizenship, best practices of effective corporate governance, the highest levels of integrity and professionalism, integrity in the operation of federal healthcare programs, and a culture of openness, accountability and compliance throughout Maxim.
- 10-12 years of experience in corporate communications environment
- BS/BA in Communications, Marketing, and/or Journalism
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices, theory, and techniques of oral and written communications to determine the most effective vehicles, and to foster effective message receipt and understanding
- Recent experience in planning and implementing complex communications plans and projects for a large complex organization and large infrastructure
- Strong writing and editing skills for a variety of audiences ranging across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated excellence in working effectively with senior leaders and managers in large organizations and influencing their approach to communications
- Ability to write/edit in a variety of writing styles, ability to draft materials on a wide range of topics; strong editing and proofreading skills, and thorough knowledge of AP style
- Excellent project management skills; ability to manage a number of internal communications projects within strict timelines and rapidly changing environment
- Ability to meet and dictate aggressive time schedules in a fast paced environment
- Strong communications ability, with highly developed journalistic writing, editing, and interviewing/researching skills, and a thorough understanding of multiple communications and production channels
- Team-oriented professional with an ability to manage, inspire, motivate, execute, and work well with diverse groups made up of internal and external staff, and outside vendors
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Comprehensive computer skills and experience; knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint, Ektron, and/or experience leading the development of an Intranet is preferred
- Ability to effectively elicit/provide information to and from appropriate individuals (including, but not limited to, supervisors, co-workers, clients) via strong communication skills; proficiency in the English language may be required
Our company is committed to maintaining a challenging environment that promotes personal accountability, personal growth, and an active role in the driving vision of the company. We offer competitive pay, full benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage as well as 401(k), 529 college savings plan, basic life insurance with the option of supplemental and 17 days paid time off in addition to holidays.