Advancement Project is a next generation civil rights organization. We tackle inequity using
innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington,
D.C. and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy and technology to
create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen
movements that expand opportunity for all.
Advancement Project seeks a creative, energetic, and committed professional to serve as
Communications Specialist. This position is based in Washington, DC.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the Managing Director for Communications, the
Communications Specialist will perform the following duties:
• Gather and produce journalistic content, audio, video, digital and written, for various
• Manage creative, detailed issue campaigns
• Write opeds, press releases and other press materials.
• Logistical support of media events.
• Work with graphic design of collateral materials.
• Develop press lists and clip files.
• Prepare press kits and communications infrastructure
• Prepare talking points and briefing materials
• Outreach and relationship development with media Research and development of fact sheets
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Develop relationships with bloggers and press
• Develop effective pitches for media
• Assist with production and editing of organizational journal
• Assist with social media outreach
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, political science or related field
• 3-5 years experience in communications (campaign experience helpful)
• Exceptional writing skills
• Strong background in Racial Justice and social change issues preferred
• Skill at development of collateral materials
• Exceptional attention to detail
• A high level of organization
• Ability to develop and organize databases
• Familiarity with Excel, PowerPoint and other standard software
• Results-focused approach and commitment to going the extra mile
• Significant media relations experience with proven results and experience working with
• Experience developing and editing high-quality written materials, including: Fact sheets,
talking points, statements, etc.
• Demonstrated experience in digital communication (blogs, online communities) and use
of social networking tools – Twitter, Facebook, etc. – to promote organizational
objectives, a plus.
Applicants should have fast writing skills; experience writing for the media, ability to multitask;
willingness to work hard; accountability to goals; energy and enthusiasm for innovation; and,
interest in social change issues and advocacy.
Salary based on experience. Benefits included. Qualified applicants should submit their
resume, a writing sample, and a list of three references to Barbara Janifer
(firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 202/728-9558), Receptionist, Advancement Project,
1220 L Street, NW Suite 805, Washington, DC 20005.