Hiring: Communications Manager
|APPLY FOR THIS JOB|
|Save Job||Email Job||Print Job||Apply For Job|
TITLE: Communications Manager
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
JOB TYPE: Full-time
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
The Communications Manager is responsible for advancing the goals of Friends of the Global Fight by increasing awareness and understanding of the Global Fund as well as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. With the Director of Communications and Communications Coordinator, this staff member is responsible for the organization’s internal and external communications.
The communications team works to meet Friends of the Global Fight’s goals via:
- Relevant, timely and accurate print and electronic information
- Compelling messages
- Relationships with key U.S. and international reporters, as well as proactive media outreach
- Thought leadership events and other speaking platforms
- Close collaboration with the Global Fund
The Communications Manager’s primary responsibility is to handle writing projects associated with these communications objectives. In this capacity, the Communications Manager will not only write but also track global public health trends, the work of the Global Fund and relevant policy initiatives in order to tie Friends of the Global Fight’s messages to timely issues. In addition, this person will be called upon to strategize about placement and audiences for various written materials. This person will also be asked to manage communications projects such as announcements and listserv mailings.
- Write or update a variety of collateral and educational materials – including monthly newsletters, information sheets, press releases, correspondence, talking points, and board member updates – for diverse audiences
- Draft monthly blog post or op-ed to promote the Global Fund’s work in relevant publications
- To expand Friends of the Global Fight’s speaking platform, write speaker submissions based on pertinent opportunities in order to showcase the President of Friends and members of the Board of Directors
- Regularly review and update Friends of the Global Fight’s Web site text
- Edit papers produced by the policy team at Friends of the Global Fight, maintaining style guidelines as well as ensuring strong branding and appropriate messaging
- Draft content for development tools such as a brochure about Friends of the Global Fight
- In support of special events hosted by Friends of the Global Fight and the Global Fund, draft materials such as invitations, programs and presentations
- Perform other duties, as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to make complex policy ideas accessible to various audiences
- Attention to detail
- Understanding of how to reach a target audience most effectively or the proven ability to research how to most effectively research an audience
- Excellent editing skills
- Self-directed, with the capacity to work independently and as part of a team
- Integrity; drive to find facts from proven source materials
- Strong project management skills
- Willingness to accept constructive criticism
- Ability to work efficiently, occasionally shouldering heavy workloads
- Familiarity with small-office environments
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Interest in public health, public policy and legislative matters
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of professional writing or communications experience
- Excellent writing samples from past experiences
- Demonstrated experience creating effective messaging
- Master’s degree in international relations, public health or related field preferred
- Knowledge of international health care issues a plus
Please send an email (with cover letter, resume, three references, and two writing samples (preferably samples written for different audiences) with subject heading “Communications Manager” to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
NOTE: This position is for a one-year term with the possibility of an extension based on funding.
ompensation: Salary is competitive and depends on qualifications, plus a competitive benefits package. Equal Opportunity Employer.